Interested in amending your soil efficiently and effectively?
First things first, TEST YOUR SOIL.
Without a proper analysis, you run the risk of wasting time, energy and money by not making calculated and informed decisions.
1. Primary Test: pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfate and Organic Matter. $45
2. Micro Test: Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Boron $30
3. Primary + Micro= $75
How to take a soil sample:
1. Dig smalll hole about 8 inches deep into the soil that your are interested in.
2. Scrape the side of the hole and collect about 4 cups of soil.
3. Place soil in a ziplock bag and bring to the BLC. Results are usually ready within 3 business days.
To get a good representation of your soils fertility, take samples from several areas/pots/holes and mix them together, then bring in a sample of that. This only works if the soil has all been treated the same and given similar growing conditions.
You can expect test results within 3 business days. Once we understand what your soil needs in order to maximize fertilirty, an amendment plan can established.
Here is how test results are reported:
- Soil needs to be moist but not wet.
- Reusing potting soil? Mix all soil together and take representative sample.
- Multiple soil sample locations? A test per location is recomended.
Using your soil test results, you can make good decisions on how to properlly augment your soil's fertility. The BLC offers a fertilizer brokerage service to help local farmers maximize their profit by reducing costs and improving yields. Call or come by to set up a consultation.